Employer / Business Services
The mission of the Southwest Wisconsin Workforce Development Board (SWWDB) is to provide area employers with comprehensive, cost-effective methods to connect to the region’s dynamic and motivated job-seekers. SWWDB staff can help local employers find qualified candidates to interview without having to place ads or accept resumes/applications, and can customize services to meet the specific needs and budget of the employer.
Services available through SWWDB include:
- Candidate searches: SWWDB staff is available to help employers find the best candidates for vacant positions. We can use the employer-provided job description to search for eligible and qualified candidates for the position, or we can work with employers to write a job description to use for the search process.
- Advertising: SWWDB staff can assist employers in drafting and placing advertisements in local newspapers, specialized trade publications and/or job-search Web sites of the employers’ choosing. The cost of advertising would be fully paid by the employer and will depend on the publications used for advertising the position.
- Recruitment: SWWDB can serve as the agency accepting resumes/applications from interested candidates. SWWDB can also act as an intermediary, disseminating any information provided by the employer directly to interested potential candidates. SWWDB can respond to candidate inquiries and answer employment-related questions on behalf of the employer.
- Job fairs: Whether your company is hiring for one position or 1,000, SWWDB can coordinate, promote, host and staff recruitment fairs at our Job Centers, your offices or another location.
- Assessment tests: Using Xyte — an interactive, online job-placement assistant — employers can develop ideal “patterns” for various positions in their organization. Employers then can compare their patterns to the pool of job seekers who have completed the JobFit assessment, providing employers with a pool of candidates who possess the necessary skill sets.
- Online searches: Using JobCenterofWisconsin.com, SWWDB can assist employers in marketing vacant positions on the official Wisconsin online job bulletin board. Applications can go directly to the employer’s human resources department or to SWWDB for initial screening.
- Screening/sorting services: SWWDB staff can review resumes/applications submitted by job- seekers using the employer’s employment criteria. We can rank candidates in terms of which resumes match most closely the employer’s desired skill set and/or recommend candidates the employer may want to interview.
- Interviews/scheduling: SWWDB staff is available to schedule initial interviews with selected candidates, based on the employer’s schedule. We also can assist employers by conducting first interviews with a predetermined number of candidates, and/or SWWDB staff can sit in on employer-conducted interviews and provide feedback regarding candidate qualifications.
- Background/reference checks/drug testing: SWWDB staff can conduct criminal background checks using the comprehensive database maintained by the state Department of Corrections. For applicants determined by the employer, we can contact past employers and personal references to properly vet each candidate’s resume and employment history. SWWDB can also schedule drug testing for candidates using reputable and certified testing facilities.
SWWDB’s services and pricing structure are fully customizable, depending on each employer’s needs. SWWDB will negotiate a contract with the employer based on actual time and materials for services provided. The scope of services will be determined based on discussion with designated employer representatives and documented in a services agreement.
Training Opportunities for Employers
- On-The-Job (OJT) Training: On-the-job training provides occupational training reimbursing the employer up to 50% of the employee’s wage rate as compensation for the employer’s “extraordinary” costs.
Employers: Click here to download a brochure with details about SWWDB's OJT program.
- Customized Training: Training that is designed and conducted to meet the special requirements of an employer.
- Incumbent Worker Training: Customized training for existing for -profit businesses intended to retain and keep businesses competitive through upgrade skills training for existing full-time employees.
For additional information about any of these services and more, please contact Anna Schramke, SWWDB Business Services Coordinator, at (608) 342-4220 Ext. 232 or by e-mail.